Tuesday, 16 October 2012

SEGMENT 29: Hazard Bay ( Orpheus Island ) to Nelly Bay ( Magnetic Island). 43 NM Tues 2 October 2012.

SEGMENT  29: Hazard Bay ( Orpheus Island ) to Nelly Bay ( Magnetic Island). 43 NM
Tues  2 October  2012.
We were expecting the wind to increase overnight and we were not disappointed. The wind was between 12 and 18 kts and LAST WORD  rolled a  little, and the anchor chain made some noise as the boat swivelled on anchor , and the anchor cradle  was moved from side to side by the snubber.

Capt Barry noted that he would have to make up a bridle snubber , and pack washers either side of the anchor cradle to address the noise issue, but some other time, as the solution would require a bit of thinking and trial and adjustment  concerning the rope lengths , as the anchor goes through the bow ( not over the top like most boats ).

Early morning ,Capt Barry consulted BOM and Buoyweather to decide whether to take LAST WORD around the outside of Hinchinbrook Island , which was only about 5 NM to the west of  our anchorage.  After discussion with David, rear admiral Julie and Rhyannon, Capt Barry decided it would be best to let Hinchinbrook Island be discovered another trip (despite being so close) and head back to Magnetic Island , as sea conditions were deteriorating  rapidly as the expected winds built.

BOM was predicting 15 to 25 kt winds , and 2 plus m seas , and Buoyweather   a little less.

We lifted anchor at 7.50 am and arrived at Nelly Bay marina 5 hours later , at 1.00pm

About a third of the trip was in the lee of Orpheus and Great Palm Islands, and along the inside of Magnetic Island. Here the swell  was  about  2 m and the wind  10 to 15 kts, but out in the open  the swell was 3 to 4 m and the wind gusting frequently to 20 to 25 kts, and both were coming from about 11 o’clock to LAST WORD’S  passage.  

Whilst LAST WORD  handled the conditions with ease, it was a rolly trip, and would have been most uncomfortable without stabilizers, which make a huge difference.

Sitting on our usual 1050 rpm, and going with the current,  LAST WORD only averaged about 8.2 kts out in the open waters.  Without the oncoming seas and wind,  LAST WORD would normally  manage about 10 to 11 kts, at those revs and with a 1 kt current.

Capt Barry and David did most of the driving , and rear admiral Julie did some reading then lay down on the saloon lounge to pass some of the time , whilst Rhyannon spent some of the time in the pilothouse helm and had one or two catnaps below deck.  In fact Rhyannon mentioned  that she managed to “GET SOME AIR” ( when she lifted off the bed ) when sleeping in the front VIP cabin, and moved to the master suite , where the  vertical  lift ( from the bigger swells ) was significantly less.

We rounded Magnetic Island at Picnic Point, and headed straight into the wind and sea , about 3 + m , and  made a bee line for the leads into Nelly Bay harbour. Capt Barry radioed  “all ships “ that LAST WORD was about to enter the harbour, and ignored the 6 kt speed limit, and gunned the entrance at about 10 kts , with stabilizers and wipers on full, until behind the breakwaters. This is necessary in swelly /windy times , as the markers are only about 15 m apart and the current , swell and wind make for a very confusing sea  that rocks and rolls all vessels, even the ferries .

Capt Barry had previously telephoned the marina manager, and organised a berth , as we were expecting the winds and sea to increase and thought we may need to high tail it back to the marina . 

The allocated berth was A26, (the opposite side of the finger LAST WORD   was  last berthed at  when in the marina),  and Capt Barry knew it would be a blow on berth, which would make things easier in the 25 kt wind.

Capt Barry berthed, bow in ,for privacy , but after finding out that there was STILL  no three phase power  for berth A25 and 26 ( Capt Barry had been promised it would be fixed while LAST WORD was away ), and as LAST WORD did not have long enough extensions to use the 15 amp plug ins, Capt Barry had to restart the engines and rotate LAST WORD, stern in to the berth , so the 32 amp leads could be plugged into the 15 amp power supply  with the short adaptor fittings LAST WORD carried.
This turned out to be the better orientation , as the wind did not blow straight into the saloon.
Whilst Capt Barry washed  away the salt residue that was on every part of LAST WORD  , the girls ordered a take away lunch of hamburgers and chips.

Later that afternoon the 57 foot Nordhaven , Myrtle, arrived and attempted  berthing in A27, the blow off berth next to LAST WORD,  but after second thoughts (and seeing Capt Barry put buffers down the port side of LAST WORD – in case he muffed the berthing )  the skipper of Myrtle , berthed in someone elses  berth, A25, a blow on berth, until the winds died somewhat.

The wind  did not abate and the skipper of Myrtle successfully berthed next to LAST WORD  without incident.

rrear shot of Myrtle, the Nordhaven 57 ( with extended boarding platform) next to Last Word

front shot ,Myrtle and LAST WORD

Later that day a vote was taken and we all decided to stay on board for rack of lamb and dine out at the restaurant Wed night.

action shot of the girls washing up

TRIP:  5.4 hours ;   202 L/total;  329 total engine hours;   av speed 8.3 kts;  av fuel used 37 L/HR/TL

No comments:

Post a Comment