Wednesday, 8 August 2012

Sunday, 5th August,  2012 at Iluka , on the Clarence River.

Capt, Barry was first up , and put the genset on to charge the house batteries (which were about 80% ) and to ensure there was hot water for all and put on a load of washing. After all,life must go on, guests and all.

The hard bit was not having any breakfast , as we had organised to depart early in the tender for a day on the river, starting with a visit to the Yamba marina to look it over , then a walk to Yamba village ( about 1 klm ) for  breakfast.

Th others were stirring slowly, so Capt Barry did some ironing. Capt Barry only irons for himself, not because he is selfish ( which is definitely not the case) , but because the rear admiral would not be seen dead in anything ironed by the Capt.
A Captain has many duties and responsibilities. Ironing is just one.

We managed to depart in the tender at about 8.00am and went out through the western hole in the Iluka breakwall, crossed the river, and threaded our way through the western hole in the wall on the Yamba side , to the Yamba Marina.

One has to keep their wits about them , to work out the markers.... not only what they mean, but also which side to  pass them on ,  as you need to figure out whether you are going up or down river, ....which can get a tad confusing when rounding islands and corners with outlets to the sea at the other end.

Anyway , we cheated, and followed the ferry.

We tied up at the Yamba marina and asked about a berth and prices , then left the tender tied ( and padlocked )  to the marina wharf ( after asking for  permission to do so ).

We strolled along the river bank to  Yamba village ( about 1 klm) and had breakfast at one of the cafes, strolled about the village shops , purchased some supplies to make a chicken curry for dinner and took a different route back to the marina.
walking along the southern bank of the Clarence at Yamba

We then returned to LAST WORD  and put the groceries away, then reboarded the tender and headed out for Maclean, approx. 15 NMs up river.

After exiting the western Iluka breakwall and heading west up river, one has to be very careful not to run over the submerged rock wall that runs approx 500m west from the opening. Again it is evidenced by poles , the odd floating ball marker and some areas where the rocks just protrude above the waters surface (depending upon the tide level).

We sat on about 20 knts and it took 45 mins to reach Maclean. The river was a dirty brown , with patches of scum, and was not inviting anyone for a  swim.

We passed the old Harwood sugar mill on route and passed under the Harwood Bridge , which  is 9 NM upstream from the river entrance and opens by the middle section  being raised vertically by big counter balances ,  to a maximum clearance of 36M.
Harwood sugar mill

Harwood bridge opens by the middle section being raised by counter weights to a clearance of over 36 M

We moored at the end of the public jetty which has power and water and once allowed visitors to tie up for three day limits ( now 24 hours thanks o those who abused the privilege).
tender to LAST WORD moored at the Maclean public jetty

We explored the Scottish Town of Maclean and I found a hardware shop ( where I spent some downtime ) and while rear admiral Julie wandered through a antique shop I purchased wine and beer from a grog shop directly opposite the public wharf. I figured it would be the closest I would be able  to buy heavy cartons of wine and beer. All I had to do  was walk it across the road, load the tender and then lift it out of the tender onto LAST WORD,  ( assuming I did not leave it on board and lift it on board LAST WORD  when I craned the tender on board ).
looking one way up the main street of Maclean
looking the other way

We returned to LAST WORD  in time for a late lunch of fresh bread with salmon, capers , lemon slices and spring onion, washed down with a lime and soda.
Graeme in the bow of the tender (and the back of Andrea's head) on the return journey. The tender  reached 38 mph with 4 adults  at full rpm , but with  out being trimmed , and gives a very soft, dry ride.

The girls then prepared a magnificent green chicken curry  for dinner, after which  we said good bye to Graeme and Andrea, and  at 8.00pm I dropped them a shore ( with a partially deflated starboard boob in the tender )  for their 2 hour drive back to Surfers Paradise.

Julie and I decided not to visit Grafton ( as we have both been there several times ) , but to continue our passage to Southport the next day , so we set about the well rehearsed drill of  preparing LAST WORD  for  sea ie the trip to Southport next morning, weather and seas permitting.


No comments:

Post a Comment